Gold Cube

unanimated

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Nicholas Peter Pettersson



I mentioned previously that I was named after my grandfathers.  I talked a little bit about them.  Right now I would like to talk a bit more about my grandfather Pettersson.  I would like to show a contrast between my two grandfathers, who were different in their own ways. 

Nicholas was born in Sunderland England though his ancestry is Swedish.  His father was a ship captain.  He was born a nonmember of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  He joined as an adult with his whole family.  He came to the United States and to Utah with his wife and children.  He worked as a clerk in many jobs in Utah.  Some with the railroad and many for the coal mines.,  He was postmaster for a time in Winter Quarters, Utah.  He was County Treasurer in Carbon County for many years.  He served in many callings in the Price 4th Ward of the LDS Church.  He once played on a soccer team. I believe this was in Winter Quarters.  He was chorister for priesthood meetings at 90 years of age.  Eventually he was finance clerk for the seminaries in Price.  He wasn't noted, to me, as an outdoors man though he had the head of a deer mounted at his home in Price.  As I recall it was a deer he had bagged. 

Nicholas was well respected in his church and community and was always cheerful with a "contagious smile."  He was easy going and mild mannered.  His children followed in his footstep and were also clerks both in business and in their church.  Nicholas visited his children often in Salt Lake City.  I remember him taking vacations.  It seems like he was always taking vacations to me but it was apparently only a few times.

No comments:

Post a Comment