Gold Cube

unanimated

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Joseph Augustus Curtis, Jr. (Dode)

Joseph Augustus Curtis, Jr. was eventually known as Dode.  Dode was never baptised into the LDS Church despite his rich pioneer heritage not only for pioneers in Utah but also pioneers in the LDS Church.  Dode was born in Castle Dale.  From what I can tell he never really went far from  the area of the Price River drainage and spent his life in Carbon and Emery Counties near Woodside, Summerville, Humbug and Grassy.  I could also throw Cedar Mountain into that mix.

Dode is often associated with two men.  His father Joe and his brother Guy.  Dode had many mining claims with different family members.  That will be explored in more detail in later posts.  Dode once bought a horse with his father Joe and the Whitmores.  That too will be explored more in future posts.  Where as my grandfather Nicholas was a city dweller, Dode spent a lot of time on the desert.  A lot of this time was spent in a tent.  A lot of that time was also spent alone as far as I know.

There are a few landmarks which bear the name of Joe or Curtis which I believe are attributed to Dode's father who was one of the first settlers of Woodside.  Joe's Holes near Cedar Mountain is one of those.  There is also a Joe Spring near Park Wash which I believe is a strong candidate for being associated with Joe Curtis, Sr.  Dode had mining claims in Park Wash.  There is also a story of Dode having a wolf attack a young colt in the Park.  The colt later died from it's injuries.  The Park is in the Bookcliffs just above Horse Canyon and at the head of Park Wash.

Joe, Dode and Max had much in common.  I know Joe and Max herded sheep and I suspect Dode did as well.  Dode and Max had mining claims and it is also reported that Joe was known to prospect when he had time.  Joe and Max were farmers and Dode even attempted a homestead on Cedar Mountain with Guy.  I believe they were the first to attempt farming on Cedar Mountain.

I would also like to mention another landmark which I believe was named for Joe Curtis.  In the San Rafael Group of formations there is one called the Curtis Formation.  It borders the Summerville Formation which was named for another early settler of Woodside named Summerville.  I believe that the Curtis Formation was named for Joe simply because he was one of the first settlers of Woodside.   The Curtis Formation reaches as far as Flaming Gorge, Moab, near Hanksville and surrounds the San Rafael Swell.  The Entrada Formation, Summerville Formation and Curtis Formation were all named at the same time.  At the same time the formations were named there was also places named.  Entrada Point, Summerville Point and Curtis Point were named where these formations were prominent. 

In my next post I will summarize my comparison of my two grandfathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment