Gold Cube

unanimated

Friday, April 6, 2012

Old Stove Claims.


This is Entrada Point just off the Caslte Dale Road and just north of Rancho Notso-Grande.  Some of dad's claims are in this area. 

My recent trip to the Summerville, Neversweat and Lost Spring Wash area was mainly for the purpose of rockhounding or prospecting.  I did pick up a few rocks and was checking out ant hills and dry washes.  I didn't quite make it to two places that I wanted to.  Partly because of the windy weather and partly because of time.  Also partly I'm sure because of the gas expense involved and the remoteness of one of the locations.  I did want to go investigate some of my dad's old claims.  I did get to that location but was not able to do much investigation.  The road had not been graded and was not in good condition either.  That would be another reason. 

My dad prospected for quite a few years and had claims with different people.  Some family members including sibling, parents and even spouse.  Two that stand out aren't family.  There was a guy named Brownn from Grand Junction I believe that he staked a lot of uranium claims with in the 1950's along with a substantial amount of the male population of the time.  Another is Adolph Herrera.  In fact their tombstones are near each other in the Price City Cemetery.  They had quite a few claims in the area of Entrada Point, Summerville Point and Curtis Point.  This is also close to the lower end of Joe's Holes in the Big Hole area and near Cement Crossing. 

At this time dad had 70 claims.  I have the original map and I have also plotted them on the Dry Mesa quadrangle map.  The names of the claims are the Old Stove, Sand Pass, Red Rim and Sal.  There were 42 Old Stove claims, 12 Sand Pass claims, 6 Red Rim claims and 10 Sal claims.  Recently I had an individual do some map dowsing for me.  In the course of his dowsing he came up with six locations for gold prospects in the area east of Cedar Mountain or on Cedar Mountain.  One of these locations was on one of dad's old claims and that is what I wanted to investigate when I was down there.  There was in fact a company I believe from Grand Junction who leased some of these claims at one time and did some drilling I believe on some of the Old Stove claims but it could have been other claims as they are right next to each other.  Another item to follow up on if possible.  It was while attempting to investigate this dowsing location and claim that I ran across the couple that was stuck off the road in my last post.  I still may get down there to investigate or prospect this claim that also showed up on with a dowser and see if it may be worth putting forth more effort into.



Sugarloaf and some of the young neighbors or residents of the Neversweat area.

No comments:

Post a Comment