Gold Cube

unanimated

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Grandfather Comparison.

I did a grandfather comparison once before in one of my very early posts but I would like to do another short comparison or brief description of them. 

My grandfather Nicholas Peter Pettersson was an immigrant having been born in England of Swedish origin.  He worked for the railroads and mines before becoming Carbon County Treasurer.  He was also a convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  He was very valiant and ambitious in his membership in the LDS Church.  He was still leading the choir in priesthood meeting and doing treasurer work for the seminaries at 90 years of age.  He was well known, well liked and well respected and had a cheerful nature and disposition. 

My grandfather Joseph Augustus Curtis was born in Castle Dale and was a lifelong resident of Utah.  In fact I'm not sure he went far from the Price River Drainage area at all and spent most or all of his life there.  His nickname was "Dode".  His father had the same name and generally went by Joe as far as my research determines.  In fact it is Joe who this comparison may involve more than Dode.  Dode has reportedly said that Joe's Holes was named after him.  I'm inclined to disagree with that as I believe he was a newborn when Joe's Holes was named.  It could have his his father Joe however.  Joe reportedly ran sheep quite a bit.  I don't know if they were his sheep or someone else's but he supposedly had large herds of sheep.  He would also be more contemporary with when Joe's Holes was named.  He also went by Joe rather that Dode.  They aren't called Dode's Holes.  Joe was also one of the first settlers of Woodside.  As I have mentioned earlier I am certain that the Curtis Formation which is part of the San Rafael Group of geologic formations was named for him.  The Curtis Formation is just above the Entrada Formation and is very evident at Goblin Valley.  The Entrada Formation, Curtis Formation and Summerville Formation were all named at the same time in 1928 by Gilluly.  There was a guy named Summerville from Moab that is also credited as being one of the first settlers of Woodside and that is exactly why I feel that the Curtis Formation was named after Joe Curtis.  It only makes sense.  I also believe that Joe's Holes was also named for Joe Curtis.  Lew's Holes was names for Louie Pressett and as far as I can tell he was a contemporary of Joe Curtis.  Apparently they laid claim to these watering holes.  My dad used to call Lew's Hole "Louie Pressett waterhole". 

I am going to contradict myself here.  Joe's Holes starts near the Cedar Mountain summit area of the Castle Dale Road.  Or on old maps the Green River Cutoff.  But the Green River Cutoff took a different route in some places than the present Castle Dale Road.  Joe's Holes empties eventually into Lost Spring and further down into other washes before eventually emptying into the San Rafael River.  The Curtis Formation also in within the San Rafael River drainage area.  I don't know how much impact this has on my earlier statement that Dode spent most of his time in the Price River drainage area but they are so close as to almost be the same and one has to make some effort to distinguish the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment