Gold Cube

unanimated

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Compact car stuck up to its axles.



On Saturday March 31 I went down to my dad's claims.  I got down there late and it was windy.  I didn't attempt to set up a tent. On the way there I passed a car on the side of the road collecting some dirt.  I guess they/she wanted some that was red.  I turned off to go to the claim and apparently they followed me thinking I would lead them to what they were looking for.  I went down the road and didn't like what I saw.  The road wasn't even good for a four wheel drive, which I was driving.  Being late and windy and no good prospects for a camp I turned around and went back.  On the way back I came upon the care off the road stuck like up to their axles in the dirt.  They had now business getting off the road as they were in a low clearance compact car.  Anyway they were stuck, with their car locked and the engine running.  They asked for my help and of course I helped them. 

First they asked for some wire such as a coat hanger.  I did not have a coat hanger but I remembered that I did have a car aerial antenna.  I gave that to them and she asked if she could bend it.  I said of course its just junk and this is more important.  She bent it a couple of times and with a tire iron to pry the window was able to hit the switch to unlock the car.  She was very elated.  She asked if I wanted it back and I said I could keep it for a souvenir.  I then asked her if she wanted it for a souvenir and she did so I gave it to her.  She was happy again. 

Next I proceeded to pull them out.  I had a load binder strap that I had just put in the truck the day before.  We hooked up and the truck slid a bit because it was on an angle.  I put it in four wheel drive and it just walked right out.  Needless to say she was ecstatic.  Her boyfriend was a good help as well.  He stopped me for help and hooked up the strap to the car.  She did give me a check but I would have done it for nothing.  I then pointed out Chimney Rock to them which they could not see because it was already late twilight.  That's what they were looking for.  They were going to go to Moab for the paragliding but it was too windy for that.  I don't know how they had heard of Chimney Rock  She was very nice and kept saying thank you so much.  She even said she loved me and right away said to her boyfriend that she loved him too.  It was a good experience for all in a way because it showed the goodness in people and it got them on their way when they could have spend the night when they did not want to.  It could have ended a lot of different ways if I had not turned back.  I hope they had an enjoyable time despite getting stuck. 



I will add more later to my trip in my next post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment