Gold Cube

unanimated

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Another raccoon story

Last week I started to walk to my daughter's house around the corner.  I didn't even get past my next door neighbor's house when I saw what looked like a dead kitten by the sidewalk.  It was actually between the sidewalk and the neighbor's fence.  It looked like a large kitten and I thought that strange because I hadn't seen any around.  Upon closer inspection I found it to be a young racoon.  I would say the racoon was only two to three months old.  There are some interesting items about finding this racoon. 

First I went and told my neighbor down the street who has had racoons in her attic twice before.  Last year she had them for six weeks.  This is the same neighbor who had a snake in her yard just a few days ago.  She wanted to see the racoon so she and her brother walked down and I showed it to them.  Another neighbor walked up the street and it appeared he didn't even see it.  My other daughter had walked by earlier and did not see it either.  The next door neighbor's daughter thought it was only there recently because she had been gong in and out all day and hadn't seen it.  I assured her that I thought it had been there all day. 

This happened on garbage day, which is Friday.  I had washed out my garbage can because I thought it stunk.  My neighbor across the street washed out two of his garbage containers.  He must have thought his stunk too.  It is apparent to me that it was the raccoon and not the garbage can that was stinking things up.  That leads me to believe that the raccoon may have even been there longer than one night. 

I called the Unified Police Department as they now handle animal control issues.  They weren't sure they handled this type of situation but the dispatcher took the information anyway.  They did not come by til the next day and the raccoon was no longer there.  I suspect my next door neighbor got rid of it somehow as he wasn't sure if or when they were coming.  Snakes and raccoons.  What's next?  These animals must seek out nice people to take advantage of or seek refuge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment