Gold Cube

unanimated

Thursday, June 13, 2013

My goji berry plant growing experiences.

I got a late start last year growing goji berries.  I bought a few plants some of which already had berries on them.  So I knew it may be relatively easy to grow them.  This year I got an early start.  I even brought a plant in the house to try to get berries early.  That was a fail.  It still does not have berries on it.  It grew a lot of branches but not berries as yet.  I'm still early in my experiences with goji berries as they have not had time to mature.  But I am getting berries and there is still a month or two left in the season.  In a year or two they will be mature enough that I should be getting pounds of berries off of them.  I don't know if I will get enough to sell, which is my intent, but I should get enough to keep me busy eating fresh, drying and freezing for my own personal use. 

In my travels I did try to find a goji bush in Springville that a had a reported location of.  I did find the one in Castle Gate and I am pleased with that one.  I have tried to take cuttings off of it but I have not had much luck.  I think I need to take the planters with me and plant them promptly.  The first time I was there it was raining and I got a lot of cuttings and they kept well but they did not seem to take.  I also got some cuttings from a place in Lehi that I did promptly plant in top soil but they did not as well as I had hoped.  I did have some success.  The bag of top soil or potting soil is not one I would recommend.  I do believe in compost though.  Till in the compost before you plant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment