Gold Cube

unanimated

Friday, May 20, 2011

My dad's mansion was a house built out of railroad ties.

I believe when it came to home construction my dad did have some talent.  I'm not sure when, probably in the 1960s he built a house at Woodside.  Just a simple three room home with one of the rooms being a combination living room, kitchen and bedroom.  Then there were two separate bedrooms.  What is unique is that he built the house out of railroad ties that the railroad let him have.  I don't think he paid anything for them but if someone knows better then I they can correct me.  As it turns out this little simple house is nothing to scoff at.  A house made out of railroad ties is up for sale for over $400,000 and I have provided a link to prove it.  Apparently Max wasn't the only one that made a house out of railroad ties.  It's been done since pioneer times. 

http://realestate.msn.com/blogs/listed.aspx?feat=5dc701ef-e9fb-4020-b55d-9091bb1d8677&GT1=35000

Mother Earth News even has an article about another home made out of railroad ties.  It is 2200 square feet and has three bedrooms. 

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Modern-Homesteading/1971-03-01/Build-Home-From-Railroad-Ties.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment