Gold Cube

unanimated

Friday, May 6, 2011

The Lion Hunter

I am telling this story from what I have heard and put together throughout the years.  Hopefully it is accurate.  What we know for sure is that Max did bag a mountain lion on the east side of the Green River.  I believe the following events are what led up to it. 

Apparently there was a man that ran sheep on the east side of the Green River by the name of Johnny Mahleres.  He had a big problem with a mountain lion getting a lot of his sheep.  He was at wit's end I'm sure and didn't know what to do.  He heard about or it was suggested to him that Max Curtis could probably solve this problem for him.  Max was an outdoors man, a good shot and a good hunter.  He was a very experienced sheep herder and knew the country well.  He also had good eyes, being farsighted, which suited him just fine for this type of endeavor.  Max did not work for Mahleres previous to this time to my knowledge.  He was singled out specifically to hunt down a mountain lion.  I don't know how Max accomplished it but he was successful in bagging the problem mountain lion.  I believe this occurred shortly before or after Max was married.  Kathleen seems to remember this event.  Max did not brag about it as much as he could have as this is quite an accomplishment but apparently not too difficult for him.  The one thing that I don't know is whether Max used dogs to help him.  I have no evidence that he did but most lion hunters do use dogs.  Good job Max! 

No comments:

Post a Comment